Making the Most of Your Employee Performance Management System
Recorded On: 01/23/2019
About this Webinar
President, Converje LLC
John Walp strives to provide respectful and meaningful insights by leveraging his experiences as a non-profit Board member, an advisor to non-profits and a former chief HR officer. He is the President of Converje, LLC, which he founded in 2004. With over 30 years of compensation and human resources design experience, John leads the strategic design and delivery of practical, results-driven programs, custom-built for our clients’ success. John has served more than a dozen nonprofit organizations since founding Converje.
John is an adjunct professor at Drexel University where he teaches a graduate level course in Human Resources Management geared to Arts Administration students. He formerly taught in the MBA program at Saint Joseph’s University, and has spoken on team-based pay for the International Quality and Productivity Center, on executive compensation for Temple University, and the role of technology in HR for Cornell University. John has co-authored articles published in the Benefits and Compensation Digest. He received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Industrial and Labor Relations from Cornell University.
John serves the non-profit Thomas Jefferson University and its 14-hospital health system as an active member of its Board of Trustees. He is Chairman of the Board’s Compensation & Human Capital Committee governing Executive and Physician pay system-wide, and he serves on the Board’s Executive Committee.
Links to readings that might be helpful to you:
- Strategic Performance Measurement and Management in Nonprofit Organizations, Robert S. Kaplan, Nonprofit Management & Leadership, 11(3), Spring 2001.
- Key Performance Indicators for Government and Non-Profit Agencies: Implementing Winning KPIs, David Parmenter, Wiley, May 1, 2012.
- Coaching Skills for Nonprofit Managers and Leaders: Developing People to Achieve Your Mission, Judith Wilson and Michelle Gislason, Jossey-Bass, Pap/Pas edition 2009.
- Human Resources Management for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Strategic Approach (Essential Texts for Nonprofit and Public Leadership and Management), Joan E. Pynes, Jossey-Bass, 4th edition 2013.
- "Evaluating the Executive Director: Your Role as a Board Member"
- "Managing the Nonprofit CEO Transition: The Board’s 6 Tasks"
- "What Sets Successful CEOs Apart"
- "The Nonprofit Board's Role in Onboarding and Supporting a New CEO"
- "When Board Members Just Don't Get It"
- BoardSource has a wealth of helpful information at: "Executive Evaluation and Compensation"
Other helpful links:
- Small Improvements is geared to small employers and has some pretty sophisticated tools. Plus they have really deep discounts to very small nonprofits. You should check them out, not just for goal cascading but for performance management as a whole.
- MyStrategicPlan.com: Although it’s not free, this package looks particularly nice, and the pricing looks pretty reasonable. The package stores all the important elements of a strategic plan and the goals and action plans needed to accomplish it. You might want to check out the demo.
- Performance Now (this is owned by a company called Insperity, which also offers total outsourcing of HR functions for small employers, including payroll, benefits admin, etc.)
- OnStrategy (high-end goal cascading and employee evaluation software)